- The privacy of our website visitors is very important to us, and we are committed to safeguarding it. This policy explains what we will do with your personal information.
B. Collecting personal information
The following types of personal information may be collected, stored, and used:
- information about your computer including your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, and operating system;
- information about your visits to and use of this website including the referral source, length of visit, page views, and website navigation paths;
- information, such as your email address, that you enter when you register with our website;
- information that you enter when you create a profile on our website—for example, your name, profile picture, gender, short bio and social media links;
- information, such as your name and email address, that you enter in order to set up subscriptions to our emails and/or newsletters;
- information that you enter while using the services on our website;
- information that is generated while using our website, including when, how often, and under what circumstances you use it;
- information relating to purchasing listing, event or advertising space through our website, which includes your name, company name, address, telephone number, email address, and credit card or PayPal details;
- information that you post to our website with the intention of publishing it on the internet, which includes your username, profile picture, and the content of your posts;
- information contained in any communications that you send to us by email or through our website, including its communication content and metadata;
- any other personal information that you send to us.
Before you disclose to us the personal information of another person, you must obtain that person’s consent to both the disclosure and the processing of that personal information in accordance with this policy
C. Using your personal information
Personal information submitted to us through our website or mobile apps will be used for the purposes specified in this policy or on the relevant pages of the website. We may use your personal information for the following:
- administering our website, apps and business;
- personalising our website and apps for you;
- enabling your use of the services available on our website and apps;
- sending statements, invoices, and payment reminders to you if you are listing or advertising with us;
- sending you non-marketing commercial communications;
- sending you email notifications that you have specifically requested;
- sending you our email newsletter, if you have requested it (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require the newsletter);
- sending you marketing communications relating to our business or the businesses that list with us by email (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications);
- providing third parties with statistical information about our users for analytical purposes in order for us to optimise our website and apps better (but those third parties will not be able to identify any individual user from that information);
- dealing with inquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to our website and apps;
- keeping our website and apps secure and to prevent fraud;
- verifying compliance with the terms and conditions governing the use of our website and apps (including monitoring private messages sent through our website and apps private messaging service to prevent abuse, trolling and illegal activity); and
- other uses.
If you submit personal information for publication on our website and apps, we will publish and otherwise use that information in accordance with the license you grant to us.
Your privacy settings can be used to limit the publication of your information on our website and apps and can be adjusted using privacy controls in your user dashboard on the website.
We do not hold any credit card, PayPal or bank details on our servers. If you make a purchase through our website the payment gateway will be handled by a trusted third party supplier such as PayPal. In some cases you may be directed to a third party website to make a payment such as Viator, Expedia, Amazon, Redbubble or Booking.com. These third party websites will have their own privacy policies which you should read before transacting with them or providing them any personal information.
D. Disclosing personal information
We will never supply your personal information to any third party for their or any other third party’s direct marketing. Any information you provide us, including your profile data, images, contact details, comments, posts and social media links remains secure on our servers and is never passed on to any third party for any reasons except where we are required by law to provide such information.
If you have purchased listing, event or advertising space on our website, some of your personal/company information may be stored on hard copy invoices and receipts and filed away where the law requires us to keep such documentation. This is purely an accounting requirement and we will never provide that information to any third party except where required by law to do so.
Where you have used the booking details or contact details contained within our listings, we neither collect or share any information that you may provide to that third party. You should read their own terms & conditions and privacy policies before transacting with them and providing personal information.
We do not sell any personal information that is provided to us and we never will.
We may disclose your personal information to any of our employees when dealing with complaints or queries pertaining to our site or apps.
We may disclose your personal information:
- to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- in connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings;
- in order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention);
- to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset that we are (or are contemplating) selling.
E. International data transfers
- Information that we collect may be stored, processed in, and transferred between any of the countries in which we operate in order to enable us to use the information in accordance with this policy.
- Information that we collect may be transferred to the following countries which do not have data protection laws equivalent to those in force in the European Economic Area: Zambia and Zimbabwe. However, we have adopted the European Union’s GDPR policy and apply it nevertheless.
- Personal information that you publish on our website and apps or submit for publication on our website and apps may be available, via the internet, around the world. We cannot prevent the use or misuse of such information by others.
- You expressly agree to the transfers of personal information described in this Section F.
F. Retaining personal information
This Section F sets out our data retention policies and procedure, which are designed to help ensure that we comply with our legal obligations regarding the retention and deletion of personal information.
- Personal information that we process for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
- Without prejudice to article F-1, we will usually delete personal data falling within the categories set out below at the date/time set out below:
- personal profile data will be deleted within 24 hours of you deleting your account; and
- any comments or posts that you have made on our website will remain unless you expressly contact us and request their removal. Should you make such a request, all post data will be removed within 24 hours of your request; and
- Notwithstanding the other provisions of this Section F, we will retain documents (including electronic documents) containing personal data such as copy invoices and receipts of payments:
- to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- if we believe that the documents may be relevant to any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings; and
- in order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention).
G. Security of your personal information
- We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse, or alteration of your personal information.
- We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall-protected) servers.
- All electronic financial transactions entered into through our website will be protected by encryption technology.
- You acknowledge that the transmission of information over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
- You are responsible for keeping the password you use for accessing our website and apps confidential; we will not ask you for your password (except when you log in to our website).
We may update this policy from time to time by publishing a new version on our website and apps. You should check this page occasionally to ensure you understand any changes to this policy. We may notify you of changes to this policy by email or through the private messaging system on our website or through our apps.
I. Your rights
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you; provision of such information will be subject to the following:
- the payment of a US$5 fee; and
- the supply of appropriate evidence of your identity (we will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a notary, the last 4 characters of your password, the original digital photo that is your profile picture, the email address you used to sign up with and an original copy of a utility bill showing your current address).
You may instruct us at any time not to process your personal information for marketing purposes such as personalised push notifications in our apps, email offers and newsletter circulars.
In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes.
J. Third party websites
Our website includes hyperlinks to, and details of, third party websites. We have no control over, and are not responsible for, the privacy policies and practices of third parties.
K. Updating information
Please let us know if the personal information that we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated. In practice everything we hold about you can be viewed and amended in your dashboard on our website. You can also delete your account from the dashboard. Please see section F-2.2 about the removal of your posts and comments.
The names of the cookies that we use on our website, and the purposes for which they are used, are set out below:
- we use Google Analytics and Adwords on our website to recognise a computer when a user visits the website, track users as they navigate the website, improve the website’s usability, analyse the use of the website and target advertisements which may be of particular interest to specific users;
- we use a cookie to instruct your web browser to remember your username and password when you sign into our website. The cookie also allows your browser to keep you signed in for a period of one month. This cookie does not track your navigation through the site or send any information to third parties.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies—for example:
- in Internet Explorer (version 10) you can block cookies using the cookie handling override settings available by clicking “Tools,” “Internet Options,” “Privacy,” and then “Advanced”;
- in Firefox (version 24) you can block all cookies by clicking “Tools,” “Options,” “Privacy,” selecting “Use custom settings for history” from the drop-down menu, and un-ticking “Accept cookies from sites”; and
- in Chrome (version 29), you can block all cookies by accessing the “Customise and control” menu, and clicking “Settings,” “Show advanced settings,” and “Content settings,” and then selecting “Block sites from setting any data” under the “Cookies” heading.
Blocking all cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites. If you block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
You can delete cookies already stored on your computer—for example:
- in Internet Explorer (version 10), you must manually delete cookie files (you can find instructions for doing so at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835 );
- in Firefox (version 24), you can delete cookies by clicking “Tools,” “Options,” and “Privacy”, then selecting “Use custom settings for history”, clicking “Show Cookies,” and then clicking “Remove All Cookies”; and
- in Chrome (version 29), you can delete all cookies by accessing the “Customise and control” menu, and clicking “Settings,” “Show advanced settings,” and “Clear browsing data,” and then selecting “Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data” before clicking “Clear browsing data.”
Deleting cookies will have a negative impact on the usability of many websites.
M. Location Data
Our mobile apps will request your location data in order to provide certain services within the app such as the “Near Me" functionality. We do not track your location data or store it anywhere on our servers. When you install the app you will be asked if the app can access your location. If you deny access then the “Near Me" function will not work. The rest of the app will work fine.
N. How can you contact us
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, you have any concerns about how we have been managing your personal information, please contact us via email at email@example.com.